Monday, July 14, 2008

It had to happen sooner or later

These days it seems like everyone is blogging. Given how long I've been online (since the days of Bulletin Boards) and how much I like to talk (a lot) it's about time I joined the herd. I have to confess that part of what has kept me from doing this sooner is inner conflict over the 'desire for privacy' versus the 'desire to share myself with others.' Much as I'd like to think of myself as an open person, I compartmentalize my life. I edit myself depending on my 'audience.' I think everyone does, whether it's to spare someone's feelings or out of some futile attempt to control other people's opinions of us.

And yet, I very much appreciate it when others are brave enough to allow me a glimpse into their inner and outer selves. I love travelogues, with interesting photographs and funny anecdotes. I'm moved by people's stories, from the simple joys and pitfalls of learning how to cook to the complex emotions involved in learning to deal with life-threatening illness. And I think... how cool is that?

So, here goes. I can't make any promises about how often I'll post. I don't know if I'll 'give good blog.' I don't know if any of you will read what I have to say - but at least I've taken the leap and put some of myself out there. The rest is up to you.

2 comments:

Garret said...

You should have been a writer...

teaselfinger said...

Yes, you should have been a writer - a journalist - there's still time